Born 6 February 1817 Petersburg, VA, son of Allen Archer and Prudence Whitworth Archer. He attended schools in Petersburg, then the University of Virginia, graduating on 3 July1841. Returning to Petersburg to practice law.
Joining the 39th Virginia Militia Regiment he was elected Captain on 2 April 1842. In the Mexican war he raised the Petersburg Mexican Volunteers, which became E Company, 1st Virginia Volunteer Regiment. At wars end returns to Petersburg and resumes his law practice.
Married Eliza Ann Eppes Allen who died in 1851soon after their only daughter was born. He later married Martha Georgianna Morton Barksdale, a widow with three sons and one daughter, on the 31 March 1863 but they had no children.
When Virginia seceded in 1861 he raised a company that was designated K Company, 'Archer Rifles,' of the 12th Virginia Infantry Regiment. Promoted to lieutenant colonel in the 3rd Virginia Infantry Regiment and then serving as lieutenant colonel of the 5th Battalion Virginia Infantry, and as commander of the 1st Brigade, Department of Norfolk, retires to civilian life in Petersburg in May 1862.
On the 4 May 1864 he is commissioned a major commanding the 3rd, or 'Archer's Battalion,' of the Virginia Reserves. On 9 June 1864 he successfulfy defense Petersburg against a Federal cavalry attack known as the Battle of 'Old Men and Young Boys.' 15-8 June 1864 sees him commanding his Virginia Reserves in a second successful defense of Petersburg from attack. (He is wounded in the arm during the subsequent nine-and-a-half-month Union siege of the city.) Remaining with the Confederate army until its surrender in 1865, and finally returning to Petersburg to resume his law career.
A council member of Petersburg City Council he is mayor for a few months January 1882 to March 1883 finally he dies, 21 August 1902, at his home on High Street in Petersburg. He is interred in Petersburg's Blandford Cemetery.
August Valentine Kautz
Born near Pforzheim, another source says in Ispringen, Baden, Germany, 5 January 1828.. His parents emigrated to Brown County, Ohio. Attending school in Georgetown, Ohio.
In the Mexican War he enlisted as a Private, 1st Ohio Infantry. After the war he entered the United States Military Academy, graduating in the class of 1852. Serving for number of years in Pacific Northwest, where he was twice wounded fighting Indians.
From 1859 to 1860, he travelled in Europe. In May 1861 he was made a Captain of the 6th United States Cavalry, serving in Washington, DC defense and in the Peninsular Campaign.
In September 1862 appointed Colonel of the 2nd Ohio Cavalry Volunteer Regiment. The following year he took part in the pursuit and capture of Confederate General John Hunt Morgan. At the end of the year is with the army at the Battle of Knoxville.
Made Brigadier General of Volunteers on 7 May 1864 when with the Army of the James, having been . On 9 June 1864 he leads his Federal cavalry in an attack in what comes to be known as the Battle of 'Old Men and Young Boys.' In March 1865 commands of a Division of Negro troops in XXV Corps entered the Confederate capital on 3 April 1865 with them.
A member of military commission 'trying' the conspirators in assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Breveted Major General in both the Regular Army and the Volunteers, he became Lieutenant Colonel of 34th US Infantry in 1866, Colonel of the 8th US Infantry in 1874, and Brigadier General, US Army, 1891, resigning the following year.
He died at Seattle, Washington, 4 September 1895, and buried in Section 2, Grave, 992, of Arlington National Cemetery on 22 June 1899. His wife, Fannie Markbreit Kautz, who died on 11 August 1913 is buried with him.
Born 18 February 1848 in New York, the son of Charles Lewis Tiffany, founder of Tiffany & Co., America’s foremost retailer of luxury goods, and Harriet Olivia Avery Young.
Trained as a painter in 1875 he became interested in glass and three years later set up a glassmaking factory with three other people. The firm broke up in 1885 due to Tiffany's interest in art in glass and he establish his own glassmaking firm later that same year, in 1902 this became known as the Tiffany Studios.
In 1893 he designed the chapel for the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago and the high altar in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York City. Some time after 1900 his firm produced lamps, jewellery, pottery, and bibelots. Some early examples of his lamps were exhibited in the 1893 Worlds Fair, in Chicago, and in Paris in 1900 he won a gold medal with his stained glass windows.
Between 1904 and 1912, Louis Comfort Tiffany installed fifteen windows in Blandford Church, eleven representing states in the former Confederacy, two for border states, one the last for the Ladies Memorial Association and the last a gift from himself.
He died on the 17 January 1933 in New York. With his death the popularity of his decorative works declined and for two decades his the designs were forgotten. It was not until the first Tiffany retrospective show in 1958 that museums and collectors rediscovered his objects and today his designs are honoured and treasured around the world.