Find., Fam., Int., CSR, Webb, Memoir, Rel.

2nd Lieutenant John Knox Bain
A and B Companies

He was born on 8 February 1827 in DeKalb County, TN, the son of Peter and Sinah (Benton) Bain.

Raised on an 800 acre farm near the mouth of Sink Creek on Caney Fork river.

He had to work from six years of age in the field and began ploughing at the age of ten years, and made a regular hand, only going to school a little and by twelve 'could read a little'.

In 1846, when the Mexican War broke out, he joined the Company set up by John H. Savage.

In the March of 1848 he was discharged, while in Mexico, with consumption, and returned home.

 In 1849 he went back to school this was at a place 20 miles from home, near Falling Water creek, called Union Institute and there learned to read and write better.

When the school moved to within two miles of Smithville he helped teach there until the end of 1850.

In early April 1852 he set off for to California in search of gold.  Here he stayed until 16 December 1853 when he set off for home, and arriving home in February 1854.

Here he took up farming and the owned a dry goods and grocery store 'until the last of 1855'.  He was then a teacher, a clerk, and then an assistant in a dry goods store until the outbreak of war.

Enlisted in the Regiment on the 18 May 1861.

In the Company elections he was elected 2nd Lieutenant.

Discharged as non conscript at the reorganization he now joined Colm’s (Comb's) Battalion.  The Battalion was attached to the 50th Tennessee, some time before the 14 March 1863.

Shot in the right hand on the 18th September just before the Battle of Chickamauga, 19-20 September 1863.

In hospital at Marietta, GA, for a few weeks, where six small pieces of bone were taken out of his hand.

Rejoined his Regiment at Dalton, GA, in March 1864 when he was appointed sutler. 

 Separated from the Regiment on the retreat from Atlanta when the horse drawing his wagon was stolen so he sold the wagon he then returned home. 

Took the oath of allegiance about the 7 February 1865.

Of his six brothers three were killed in the war.

He was clerking in Nashville until the February of 1868 when he took up farming and then went into business with a partner in a store and when this burnt down he became a clerk. He once again became a clerk before being in the 'marketing business.'

In 1870 moved back to DeKalb County, TN, about 12 miles from McMinnville, where he took up farming until September 1881 when he sold and moved to Hot Spring, Arkansas, arriving 20 October 1881.

He wrote a memoir when he was 86-7 and this was published in the Garland County Arkansas Historical Association publication 'The Record' in 1968.

He met his wife to be Sara(h) Lou Hartsfield born on 18 October 1842, from Griffin, Georgia, and died 12 February 1892, in Arkansas, while on convalescent leave, about two months after being wounded. They married on the 3 February 1867 at Griffin, GA.  They had seven children, of which two died young;  Thomas Allen, Fannie Elizabeth, Mary Louise 'Lula', Georgia Temperance, John, Hollace Harrison and James Hartsfield Knox.

Moving for a short while to Louisiana in 1910 where he lived with his son Hollace Harrison Bain.

He died 31 August 1915 at Shreveport LA, his wife had died 12 February 1892.