CSR, Gen., Anc., Find., Roots., Int., CSR.
in 35th Tenn Inf)
Fifer Francis Marion Moffitt
He enlisted in the Regiment on the 18 May 1861.
Was discharged at Pocotaligo S.C. due to “paralysis of the left arm” on the 14 January 1862
Despite his injury he enlisted as a private into the 35th Tenn. Inf. Reg, where he is listed as Moffatt, on the 25 November 1862. (They were also known as the 1st Tenn. Mountain Rifle Reg or 5th Tenn (Hills) Inf. Reg.)
Promoted to Sergeant Major on the 10 February 1863, at Tullahoma, TN. (With them he fought at Chickamauga, Atlanta, and Franklin.)
He surrendered with this Regiment on the 26 April 1865 in VA, they were paroled on the 1 May 1865.
He was a member of the House of Representatives 1873 - 1874.
He was born 16 January 1835 in Warren Co, TN, the son of Aaron and Harriet (Hill) Moffit and was married to:
1) Elizabeth J. Martin on the 24 August 1865 in Warren Co, TN.
2) Mary Worthington no other information.
3) Mollie Amont born 29 October 1829 and died 23 June 1880, she was the former wife of W. B. Parker who died on 21 January 1863, Mollie is buried in the Long Cemetery in Van Buren County.
4) Tennessee “Tennie” Craub/Crain born 21 April 1871 in TN and died on the 11 January 1913 in Warren Co, TN, and is buried in the Shellsford Cemetery Warren Co, TN, they had one child: William Jordon Moffit. She next married Romulus Cicero Dodson born 7 July 1874 and died 1 April 1965.
5) Unknown with who he had one child Gertrude Moffitt.
He died on the 18 August 1900 and was buried in the Hebron Cemetery, Irving College (just south of McMinnville), Warren Co, TN.